A blog easily becomes a format for its writer writer. The writer's audience may easily slide between self and other, between first person, second person, and third person. This is why blogs are so useful for so many of us, besides a place to store fleeting thoughts. Since the start of Killer Oceans, this blog became an important organizing tool and motivator for researching. In the end, it means nothing more than any other hobby's meaning.
I keep this blog for personal reference rather than public information because of my environmental web sites' growing pains. I hope to begin work on the following, and as of now they have no content::
- Climate Deception (draft)
- Climate Science History (draft)
- Climate Science (draft)
- Oceanography (draft)
- Marine Biology (draft)
The more I study these subjects, which are new to me, the more depressed I become. I started with climate deception about 4 years ago. I then migrated to climate science history for more understanding. Depression quickly set in.
I understand that this experience is not unique and others experience full-blown grief. At times, I too sensed grief, but could not identify it; I kept feeling as if someone I knew recently died.
I understood this "grief" feeling once I heard Christopher Hitchens use of "grief." He uses it to explain feelings that arise when the inevitability of climate catastrophe becomes understood, when hope is lost. I lost hope over 4 years ago, probably decades ago considering nuclear proliferation, oligarchs, and the death of nature.
More, I lost hope for certain, with the ugly, deadly detail of climate deception and the inevitable climate catastrophe that grows every day. The US Government now holds hands with fossil fuel and media oligarchs while the US population remains mystified by the corporate and oligarch ran media, a Reagan gift to the rich and powerful. Who needs world enemies with a government like the US Government?
Today's CO2 ppm is at about 414.88 ppm and will soon go down because of increased photosynthesis; then it will rise again and, if physics and chemistry still work, Earth's carbon dioxide ppm will topple 415 ppm for thousands of years, short of a technological miracle and mass sympathy for the 7th Generation - - not likely.
Grief is a good word for what people experience when they connect the dots between climate deception by governments and corporations. We had time to avoid what is coming and did nothing. There's more in this vein on the April Blog for Killer Oceans. Climate Deception Network has more too with one long rant.
Added NASA's climate time machine link to home page. Today's CO2 ppm is at 414.88.
Methane - Methane is 28 times more efficient at trapping heat in the
Earth's atmosphere compared to carbon dioxide, and current levels in the atmosphere are higher than at any point in the past 2,000
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Warming of the World Ocean - NOAA
May 5, 2019 - Microsoft shows its true colors and values by joining those in league to kill climate change lawsuits -- from The Guardian. I should have foreseen this. There's more on the way for sure. The corporate interest is to ensure taxpayers foot the bill for corporate malfeasance in global warming issues.
Solient Green, a fun video for those of us interested in human population issues. Remember this movie when in traffic, "Solient Green traffic."
- George Perkins Marsh's 1847 book, The Earth as Modified by Human Action, a must read for anyone interested in human caused climate change and human extinction. Kindle
- See this Guy McPherson video for more on humanity's destruction of its own habitat. Have we already gone too far? Make the argument.
- Global Trends To 2030 – Challenges and Choices for Europe
- Earth's energy imbalance and implications
- Aerosol-driven droplet concentrations dominate coverage and water of oceanic low-level clouds
- Thawing permafrost produces more methane than expected
- Extinction of Life on Earth? Strona and Bradshaw 13 November 2018, "Co-extinctions annihilate planetary life during extreme environmental change."Scientific Reports 8, article number 16724
- Lost world: UN report shows Nature at death's door
Man and Nature - George Perkins Marsh
- "Action is the Antidote to despair" - "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." Edward Abby
- 'I say to my soul, be patient and wait without hope, for to hope is to hope for the wrong thing.' T.S Elliot.
- "I don't want your hope. I want you to panic." Greta Thundering.
Writing and thinking as if it's too late:
- 140 million migrants by 2050: World Bank, Groundswell: Preparing for Internal Climate Migration (Washington, D.C., 2018), p. xix. (Acceleration of migration may later bypass national bioregions.)
- Libido power conquers romantic love in spite of catastrophic changes, war, biodiversity extinction,
- Repressive desublimation a possible aid to degrowth?
- Migration, food, shelter, education, medical, employment for early sterilization (surgery aimed to reduce carbon emissions)
- Human habitat widely destroyed, including Killer Oceans' habitats - -
May 8, 2019 - Posted Ian Masters audio on YouTube, US human caused global warming denial and Arctic region's resource extraction -- war a real outcome of US geopolitics.
Climate science is not dependent on computer models, in spite of what climate deniers claim. Here's a short video explaining this fact from Yale Climate Change Connections.
May 9, 2019 - Good news for plastic, maybe - - The "Holy Grail" for decomposing plastic may be in the works, if a recent report pans out. A major link in land plastic may be in the works, poly(diketoenamine), PDK. This substance allegedly helps to cause the immutable bonds of common plastic to breakdown.
For the oceans, a technological fix remains elusive; creating killer oceans arises from the long life residence of plastic in the global oceans; at this moment, plankton in the Arctic Ocean are now ingesting plastic. A mother-to-be whale found dead in Italy carried 49 pounds of plastic in her stomach.
May 10, 2019 -
- Ireland declared an environmental emergency and became the second nation state to do so.
- U.S. Fossil Fuel Subsidies Exceed Pentagon Spending - - Video
- Wettest 12 Months in U.S. History - The warmer the oceans become, the warmer the atmosphere becomes. The warmer the atmosphere becomes, the more moisture it holds; hence more rain in select areas.
- Nothing in today’s headlines compares to the coming catastrophe
- Added video links to Climate Science History page. Draft narrative will follow soon; Naomi Oreskes excellent lecture gets it done.
- Functional Extinction - McPherson
- Why we need polar ice and the threats of feedback loops and melting permafrost. Save the polar albedo.
- Climate models as accurate predictors. Includes James Hansen.
- Greenland ice sheet melt and computer models. TED
May 16, 2019
- Hourly Forecast Maps
- 1996 Global Climate Coalition Science and Technology April Minutes and Membership- Wikipedia on the Global Climate Coalition - This is the lord Mammon's idea of an ideal climate deception apparatus, the Global Climate Coalition.
- UN chief concerned nuclear 'coffin' leaking in Pacific
- PanEarth - Population Dynamics
- Population Matters - Small Planet, Small Families
- Here's a dandy read by Robert Fanny, Growth Shock, Tragedy and Hope at the Limits of a Finite World. Fanny gets to the nature of the limits to growth and humanity's willful ignorance and ability to heed its own limits to growth.
From Grist - Arctic sea ice melt, a technological fix? Spreading silica microbeads across lake surface ice shows promise for increasing ice thickness. Silica microbeads (sand from quartz) appears safe for marine life, compared to nanobeads used in makeup. I never thought much of makeup, anyway. I prefer reversing Killer Oceans into caring and sharing oceans for all of Mother Earth's babies. Grist notes Dr. Leslie Field of Ice911 and the Foundation for Climate Restoration. Climate Restoration's goal is to "restore climate" to what is was "100 years ago." I don't see this as so great. What's wrong with per-industrial levels?
At least these folks want to stop permafrost defrost. Still, the logical act is to reduce CO2 levels below our industrial pollution levels; at least that seems like the decent thing to do for the 7th generation. Like, if you pour oil in your neighbors driveway, should you clean it up?
- Doomer Essay - It is worse than that
- Robert Fanny interview on Radio EcoShock, Climate Threats & Electric Dreams—Robert Fanney global warming interview -- Fanny has an interest in electric cars, but don't be mislead. He's very knowledgeable when it comes to climate science and population matters.
- April 2019 was 2nd hottest April on record for the globe - Record setting will, is becoming the norm.
- Why the Guardian is changing the language it uses about the environment - "Global heating" is more accurate than "global warming."
"Climate emergency" is more accurate than "climate change."
- Daily, I remind myself of what the 7th Generation's defenders are up against, and Inhofe comes to mind. He is, was, only one of THEM; they number in the millions and their numbers grown exponentially as they spread and grow their killer ideologies. Oligarchs monitor, enhance killer deceptions. Most of us live in isolation, alienated. By choice, design, happenstance, we live apart. We're alienated from nature, too. This this is not good. I saw AOC and Kerry on YouTube trying to get through to a republican cement head congressman, and he would had zero sympathy for the growing climate crisis and what it means. I see no real movement toward a remedy of our isolation and inability to make the right moves happen. We need to get used to living without hope and learn to help following generations understand what lead to ongoing political, economic, and ecological deceptions, all of which became possible by our isolation from one another and nature.
- What makes Ocasio-Cortez so crucial to the 7th Generation?
It's more than winning an election without corporate or oligarch money. It's her intelligence and willingness to question and point out power's deception and criminality.
She earned my support, despite her growth sympathies, by telling her supporters about Exxon's climate deceptions, Exxon's 1970s climate science research and subsequent cover-ups. I would be living in bad faith if I ignored her and her politics.
Still, I remain wary of politicians and know that Democratic Socialists ("creeping socialism" a generation ago), can lie just like oligarch "news" media and republican climate deceivers. But, she earned her stripes and my support by taking on the climate deceivers.
And what is this about "socialism"? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes is not a socialist and far from it. Democratic Socialists abide by the nation state's welfare posture, it's a welfare state, a state within a capitalist nation-state. Democratic Socialists will willingly work along with billionaires like Elon Musk to reduce carbon dioxide pollution. They can live with capitalism, then.
Usually, when commercial and oligarch news media say the word "socialism," they fail to define their meaning of it; in fact, they mislead their listeners. For the oligarch stations, it means services and resources they do not believe we deserve as participants and protectors of "society." For them, taxpayers should pay for roads (which are great for subsidizing business), firefighters, police, and wars, but not universal health care and higher education, which benefits "society," "a rising tide lifts all boats." and more. But watch out the next time they want a draft! Then it's "all for one and one for all." Always.
Regressing, from where does this oligarch defined socialism's power arise, from the top, from the bottom, from elsewhere? For Marx and Engels, the creators of "scientific socialism," the power of socialism arose within the ranks of the working class, the proletariat. From within the factories, fields, and farms, the proletariat would wield its political power. "To each according to their ability, to each according to their needs" defined modern socialism.
Cortes does not echo this idea, not the classical proletariat's definition of socialism, not scientific socialism.
It would not matter at this point of history anyway. A transition to socialism requires vast surpluses, enormous amounts of surplus value. Our politicians and fossil fuel corporations indebted humanity to catastrophic climate damage rather than universal care, not a sane future.
That socialism will somehow arise out of ashes is absurd. Like capitalism and communism, socialism requires growth, and human population, resource depletion, and carbon dioxide pollution set limits to growth. Maybe a simple, human scale, mutual-aid, ecological approach will save Earth for the 7th Generation. Their future prospects dim with each passing day powered by the status-quo, in any case.
It doesn't matter if Ocasio-Cortes is a Democratic Socialist or a billionaire libertarian ensconced within the anti-science Republican Party. What matters is that she tells her generation how we got to this point, the point of growing carbon dioxide density, and corporate and government complicity in their threats to the 7th Generation. That's what matters and should be the only thing that matters, climate truth about our growing climate damage.
And again and again, Occasion-Cortez cannot, magically or otherwise, induce a transition to socialism, no one such power exists. Threats to capitalism are not from socialism, but from malfeasance by polluting, lying corporations and lying politicians. Population growth, resource depletion, and climate damage by rising carbon dioxide pollution are the single most issues. Occasion-Cortez makes part of this matter known to her generation.
Recent NOAA research in the near-bottom South Pacific revealed that water originating in Antarctica now warms three times faster than during the 1990s.
- Rapid reactor cleanups -
- The Doors - This is the end.
- Global food crisis ahead as extreme weather events devastate crops and field
Added water vapor answer to Killer Oceans FAQs. Water vapor kicks in as a positive feedback loop initiator, although it remains for a short period, compared to carbon dioxide. Its life in the atmosphere lasts long enough to cause havoc on a planet out of balance, loss of equilibrium between ocean heat and atmospheric heat. Heating atmospheric water vapor increases stormy weather, decouples Arctic vortex from standard patterns, rhythm, melts ice and snow, and more. It can only grow in volatility at this point. Query, what degree of atmospheric water vapor acidification occurs as atmospheric CO2 density increases, if any? Ocean acidification, crop damage, forest damage
- Trump administration's 1984 directive to a Center for Disease Control employee, climate scientist, to stop using the word "climate change." Climate change "does pose a grave threat to human health. . . . The slow demise of human inhabitability." Hugh M. Hefner, CDC scientist,
- For the Open Society (about 430 B.C.): Although only a few may originate a policy, we are all able to judge it. PERICLES OF ATHENS. Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies.
- Harsh News from the Weatherman
May 26, 2019
- Reboot Climate: What did We Know and When Did We Know it?
- Return to FAQs and return fossil fuel documents index pages to home page. Returned to Top Ten fossil fuel documents with draft narratives and audio.
- Pacific Ocean nuclear "coffin" leaking and if not now, when and when does sea level cover dome. How much radioactivity can the Global Ocean handle before it cooks species-populations and their habitat?
- Added to index page: 1978 Exxon Memo on Greenhouse Effect
- Climate: What did We Know and When Did We Know it? This duplicate content.
- Escaping extinction through paradigm shift (via Black Bear News - the real news)
- New Your Times - - 5,000 immigrants now entering the US per day. Drug cartel violence (gringo drug addiction), climate damage (fossil fuel addiction), and oligarch driven, corporate supported politics drive this humanity northward Sun drenched, parch farms, may be the beginning of the discernible, inevitable climate damage; query, how many climate scientists in Trump's cabinet?
- Ben Franklin: Observations Concerning the Increase of Mankind, peopling of Countries
- Trump ramps up war on climate science. Again we see damaging government climate deception and promotion of climate ignorance. See NASA's Frequently Asked Questions on climate change. Learn the answer to the glacier riddle. How do we know? - FAQs
May 29, 2019
- Added acid rain to glossary, incomplete as it is. Robert Angus Smith's small book, Acid Rain: the beginnings of chemical climatology" documented acid rain in 1872. In his small book, "Acid Rain: the beginnings of chemical climatology.'" Acid rain explained loss of of Norwegian fish stocks as well as forest damage in the northeastern US.
- Recommended for winter wear: wear more 2 or more t-shirts, save heat, stay warm.
- John Passmore's Man's Responsibility for Nature, A Critical Study
- Eco-lapse: IPBES Global Assessment summary—Biodiversity loss & extinction crisis—Ashes Ashes #74
- Are Eight Billion People Destroying the Climate?
- Will Climate Change Crisis End Civilization? (w/ Dahr Jamail)
May 30, 2019
- Dahr Jamail (Clip), an important video for dealing with grief and comments on Guy McPhearson, "Wizard of the Temple of Doom. From Jamail, "Countless glaciers, rivers, lakes, forests, and species are already vanishing at a pace never seen before, and all of this from increasing the global mean temperature by “only” 1°C above preindustrial baseline Temperature."
- Jamail, Dahr. The End of Ice (p. 5). The New Press. Kindle Edition.
- Republican Justin Amash
- Extreme weather is pummeling the Midwest, and farmers are in deep trouble -- saving this as an addition to Climate Damage web site, which I need to brainstorm. Three ideas come to mind. One, "climate damage" as an inconvenience or life-threatening climate change treat to life forms prior to the industrial reticulation, 1775; two, climate damage as an inconvenience and life-threatening to humans and other species, and three, climate damage as a narrower concept applying to insurance related, mitigation, efforts, and so on. It's important to stipulate "noise" from science based findings.
- Understanding steadfast climate denial in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. Three relating modes of dogmatism: closed cognitive systems, authoritarianism, and intolerance.
- Grief follows lost hope
- Civilization's Heat Engine
- Crystal Ball
- Occasion-Cortez on Biden's "Middle Ground."
- What makes Occasion-Cortez so important to the 7th Generation?
- Water Vapor
It's not a question about "left" or "right," it is a question of defending the ecological prospects of the 7th Generation. What else could be more important to future generations, those toddlers in need of protection from the State and corporate moral corruption, and starving neighbors.
Biden buying into deniers' "middle ground," after decades of "wait and see." This is when baby boomers need to step up and help younger people understand where we are at and what got us here.